E.M. Bounds writes in his treatise on prayer:
"We are constantly on a stretch, if not on a strain, to devise new methods, new plans, new organizations to advance the Church and secure enlargement and efficiency for the gospel. This trend of the day has a tendency to lose sight of the man or sink the man in the plan or organization. God’s plan is to make much of the man, far more of him than of anything else. Men are God’s method. The Church is looking for better methods; God is looking for better men.
What the Church needs to-day is not more machinery or better, not new organizations or more and novel methods, but men whom the Holy Ghost can use—men of prayer, men mighty in prayer. The Holy Ghost does not flow through methods, but through men. He does not come on machinery, but on men. He does not anoint plans, but men—men of prayer."
As leaders, we are called to a higher standard of living, and God is working on us towards that call:
- Maybe others can do certain questionable things, but as a leader, you cannot.
- Maybe others can be silent in the face of atrocities or sinfulness, but as for you, you must speak the truth.
- Maybe others can walk in prideful self-centered-ness, but you must daily lay down pride and walk in humility before God and others.
- Maybe others can pay back evil for evil, but you must walk in authentic love, kindness, forgiveness and graciousness.
- Maybe others can get along with prayerless-ness and void of the Word, but you must pursue God as if your life depends on it.
- Maybe others can lack vision and purpose, but your days are focused on the plans and calling of God.